Happy Birthday Sheffield Central Counselling
Posted 27 Nov '12 by Bay Whitaker
Sheffield Central Counselling opened for business in November 2008. For the first six months, we were lucky if we saw 2 or 3 clients every week. Five things helped us keep going and believe in our business: read on to find out what they were...
- Working in partnership: Gill and Bay were already friends having trained as counsellors together, and very aware of both similarities and differences in our approaches to life and work. We have found that with openness, mutual respect and caring about each other, our differences are a real asset to our business partnership.
- Free Local Business Advice: Setting up in business we had support from Sheffield Enterprise Agency and Sheffield Hallam University Enterprise Office. Once the business was up and running, we were still able to access advice from both these sources, on marketing, accounts, legal and operational matters. This has really helped us grow our business.
- Risk Management: Our business model is based on principles of minimising financial risk to ourselves. As new business owners, we wanted to avoid getting into debt and so we found a way of working that ensures the business functions within its means.
- Satisfied Clients: the nature of counselling work means that although it is highly rewarding, we don’t always find out ‘what happens next’. We took the decision early on to collect feedback from clients, and – with their consent – to share this feedback online, as it may help people get a feel for what the experience of going through counselling is like. Word of mouth recommendations from satisfied clients are continuing to help us grow.
- Sharing Professional Development: As BACP accredited counsellors, we are required to keep up to date with our practice by undergoing regular training every year. We meet as a team every few months to share what we have learned with each other. This keeps us enthusiastic and energised as we learn about new theories and techniques. It also helps us grow as a business to offer more specialisms and niche services.
Although we are still quite a small practice, we are proud to be part of Sheffield’s business community, and to offer a high quality service that has now been accessed by hundreds of Sheffield people. Happy Birthday to us!!!